Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Hummingbirds & Autumn


Ruby Throated Hummingbird Feeding on Petunia at Green Wellies Garden Shoppe

I have been receiving many calls asking if it is time to take down the hummingbird nectar.
The answer is a resounding NO.
It is a ol'wives tale that by keeping the nectar out you "trick" the hummingbird into staying north. This is just not so. When the time is right hummingbirds know instinctively when to head south.

It is very important at this time to continue keeping the nectar feeders full. With the onset of cooler nights the hummingbird will need more nectar, plus they are getting ready for that terrifically long journey.

I find that I am filling my feeder more often than in the height of summer. Plants nectar is just not as plentiful, as our perennial gardens begin to go dormant.

Continue to fill the feeders until you no longer see the level going down.
Then clean and store your feeders for next year.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Em! said...

Wow, I love this picture A. Leisa! Nice work!

the fabled needle (jen) said...

i always wondered about that saying. my mom keeps the nectar out for the hummingbirds in her garden. i'm glad they are not getting confused and being left behind!

Poppy said...

What a great photo! When do I start feeding the hummingbirds here in Florida?